Friday, August 19, 2016

8.19.94

Twenty two years ago, at 12:27 am, a cry was heard in a small hospital room. A married couple were given their first born, a little girl. A little girl with wisps of brown hair, and bright green eyes. She was a tiny little thing, only weighing five pounds and eight ounces. But she was there, she had finally arrived.

This little girl had been a delayed Christmas gift, by eight months. But the only gift that the married couple had wanted for their first Christmas, married, was a baby. And a baby they were given. Here she was, she was delicate but they loved her all the same.

Fast forward twenty years, to August 19th, 2016, this same baby who came into the world is now twenty-two. She is no longer a baby but an independent adult, with many titles. She's a big sister, a writer, an artists, a creator, a nurse, a flapper, a bird, a Phoenix, a stylist, a listener, and a friend.

So, here I am at the age of twenty-two. I have learned a lot in the short time that I've been here. But I know that there is more for me to learn, so I will keep reading, writing, and creating. I have lived through so much change both socially and personally. I am a contradiction to myself but I am me, and I am proud of who I am. Sure, I make mistakes and I regret things in my life but it doesn't stop me from learning and trying to be a better person.

I will never be perfect but I will always be me, and I am not going to change who I am for anyone. I have tried living in the expectations that society has place on me. But I won't follow along, I'll do what I want to do. So, if you don't like the fact that I'm wearing dark purple lipstick, sorry, but I like it. Same goes for my lilac lipstick and a bold wing liner.

Happy Birthday to Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Missing Ginger Snaps (TAG)

The sun felt warm against sixteen year old Ella's skin, her mahogany hair shined a more vibrant red in the light. A happy sigh fell from...