Friday, August 10, 2018

Zorro's Return (Journal)

Today's piece is a journal entry for you guys. So, story time, as a kid I used to have Disney Channel East and West. Mind you this was back in the 90's. One of my favorite things my family and I would do was watch Zorro (the 1957 Disney version) with Guy Williams as the titular hero. We would watch the two episodes at seven at night. Then three hours later, we would re-watch the episodes at ten. Then my sister and I were sent off to bed.

I wasn't in school at this point, and my parents were flexible with bedtimes for me and sister. We won't get into their parenting style, not the point. 

Anyway, this happened for a few years. I must have seen the two seasons in their original black and white version and colorized version at least five times each. It was a great show, and as someone who is Mexican-American it was a great representation of my ethnicity, despite the fact that it's set in 1820 Spanish California.

Why am I bringing this up in today's journal? Well, I've recently found a few of the episodes in their black and white format on YouTube. The colored versions are also available to watch there as well. I've started watching them again and I've re-fallen in love with this show. No, I haven't seen the 1990 version, but I have seen the Antonio Banderas movies, and they're pretty good. But the 1957 version of Zorro holds a special place in my heart. This was the version that I grew up watching, Guy Williams was my first Zorro.

Yes, I am aware that Guy Williams is not hispanic/latino, but he's actually Italian-American. I'm 1/8th Italian, on my dad's side, it doesn't matter to me.

I am so happy to find a piece of my childhood to re-watch and enjoy. Somehow, I'm instantly brought back in time to a little girl, who sat on the couch next to her sister. Together, we're singing the opening song and watching with such captivation that the living room is quiet. It's a fuzzy memory but it's still there because every time I hear the words 'Out in the night, when the full moon is bright' I'm reliving those precious moments.

I guess, today's journal piece was just to share this childhood memory with you guys. And maybe it's a lesson about representation as well. As a Mexican-American, it's hard to find TV shows and movies that have that representation of a bi-cultural family. Zorro was one of those rare gems that fit the bill, in my opinion. Plus, it also plays into Bruce Wayne aka Batman, so I'm not complaining. 

Thanks for reading
-ADF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Missing Ginger Snaps (TAG)

The sun felt warm against sixteen year old Ella's skin, her mahogany hair shined a more vibrant red in the light. A happy sigh fell from...